Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What's old is new again

I've found so many wonderful ideas that I've wanted to include in our wedding over the last 2 years, and unfortunately I couldn't have them all...
There are some ideas that have always stuck in my mind and for this particular one I managed a compromise. I think I first found Super 8 on the trusty WeddingBee Blog and was instantly captivated.


I just love the silence, the depth, the rich grainy images and the way the sunlight plays on the lense, it gives that timeless look and is a style of videography which has really taken off in the States. They are short and sweet, with each roll capturing about 20 minutes of footage and a few of my favourites are

Film Jones
Wilson Fontaine Vignettes
Worker Bee Designs
Paper Tape Films
Fifty Foot Films
bliss*video productions

These days you can get the sound recorded seperately and have both parts edited together, and most of the videographers above will film part of the day in digital as well. Unfortunately Australia is still a bit behind and although I searched and searched for someone in Australia that shoots Super 8 - even listing an ad at James Cook University and contacting the QLD Super 8 Film Club and Heart of Gold International Film Festival.

I eventually came across You Can't be Serious and Stolen Bicycle Films (who no longer seem to be around) but our budget just didn't allow it. I relented and spoke to our videographers MODVideo about their experience with the digital effects. To my delight Colin was really excited to try it and soon had a few short films to show me. We agreed that only parts of the day would be shown in this style (it can give you a bit of a headache after a while) - perhaps the highlight version?

No comments:

Post a Comment