Monday, May 24, 2010

Dress Rehearsal


It was all about the dress again this weekend. I woke early (before 7am) at Mum's place on Saturday morning to the sound of cats fighting on the deck. I raced out to check that Rossi wasn't out there and couldn't find any cats but upstairs I saw the beginnings of the most beautiful sunrise that I decided to grab a cup of tea and blanket and watch it. It took a good 10 minutes for me to realise that I should be watching Sunrise the program to catch snippets of St Mary's by the Sea in Port Douglas during the weather updates. They were filming there because Carnivale was on.

Soon Mum was up and we spent the morning chatting and deciding on the vases to use for the sand ceremony. We had all morning but managed to tip over a bowl of cereal and forget my hair extensions when I left for the hairdresser!

We tried out two styles and the clip-in extensions were seamless, they were such a good pick!

In the first style Kimberley used some small plaits to give my hair body around the side, and twisted it over to one side. I loved the effect of the 'swoop' from the top of my head and also might invest in a couple of small crystal pins.
Because we had to take it all out again she didn't put too much product in so it will need more oomf on the day to keep it looking good (as Louise pointed out - all those hugs can take their toll!) I also hope my fringe will be longer by then and am not sure about having hair down at the front, it will have to be trimmed to suit on the day.

The next style was in the centre, and although pretty, we both liked the first one better! We looked at the clock and 2 hours had gone in a flash!

I came home and enjoyed a chicken and champagne lunch with Mum before stepping into my beautiful gown and putting on my jewellery and shoes. I was standing over the warm floor vent and we took some pics of my Marilyn Munroe moment!

Louise and Bronny arrived soon after and the swooning began, Mum had set up some mirrors and I practiced a few steps - when bustled the dress still seemed a bit low when I stepped backwards so I slipped the loop over my left hand. It didn't really hold up the lacy side enough so I tried the right hand - bingo! This might just work. I tried a few dips with leg lifts but this was a no go for modesty reasons! Will have to practice leg-down-dips. I also tried turning with my right arm and wondered whether I'd get tangled in the train. I'll have to ask Sim about this.

Louise suggested getting slightly higher shoes to give more clearance around my feet and I've also since thought of hooking the train on one or two buttons higher. I'll have to try all these things next time!

I even managed a couple of glasses of sparkling without spilling a drop and mastered 'sitting gracefully' too.

I really enjoyed chatting with Louise about everything we're planning to do - Daniel is having his birthday drinks in Port Douglas on the Wednesday night! 

When Kimberley arrived she put my veil in and mum kept clicking away on the camera. Bronny carried my train as I descended the stairs - as my honorary bridesmaid, it was such a fun afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment