Thursday, June 17, 2010

1 sleep...

Let the pampering begin! Trav snoozed in bed while I got up bright and early to greet  Jodie, Nick's gorgeous wife who would our manicures and pedicures. Soon after 9 we were set up next to the pool and my transformation began. Kate kept me company and I started to feel nervy all over again. I appreciated that feeling, it wasn't apprehension, I wasn't nauseous, I certainly wasn't worried about my decision and I wasn't worried about anything going wrong and I knew that everyone in attendance tomorrow was there in love and support, it was just butterflies. But not feeling those butterflies would have been a shame. I would have missed out on all that anticipation. So I sighed. Kate gave me a look.

I sighed again, Kate laughed. Jodie said 'She'll be doing that all day, now' Kate threatened to start counting!

Soon Michelle, Andrea and Tamra appeared and we all relaxed and chatted by the pool. As soon as I was done, I rallied a few girls to help with the ribbons and lanterns for the chapel while I enjoyed Kate's tasty tomato and bacon omelette.

Later on I finally began to experience one of the things I'd been so desperately looking forward to - as I wandered down Macrossan street I bumped into so many friends and family - there's Jason - there's Louise and Eileen at Mango Jam!? I picked up Michelle's birthday cupcake from Sugarloaf and on the way home caught up to Daniel and Kim - I explained that it was a suprise for my sister and of course, who do we see coming towards us next? Michelle and Ryan!

'What've you got there?' 'What is it?' 'Show me' she reminded me of a seagull as I dodged around the boys to keep the box hidden!  


Trav and I made the most of a spare half an hour and snuck off to practice our dance a few times - whoever was living in the hotel opposite our park would have been well entertained!

Soon it was rehearsal time, we met our family and bridal party at St Mary's Chapel and hung back a bit as there was another wedding having their photos out the front after their ceremony. Funnily, I hadn't ever seen another wedding there in all the time I've visited. We met Shobha and all walked into the chapel. We started by practicing our entrance to the music (Louise had to get comfortable with being the first in line), I couldn't even pick the timing which I'd known so well until this day. Michelle told everyone to walk left-together-right-together and when we finally reached the alter Deborah read through a few lines of the introduction and we ran through the sand ceremony. We were all a bit fumbly so Michelle,  lounged across the front pew and obviously unimpressed, drawled 'd'ya wanna take that from the top?'. Aaah did I tell you she's a wedding coordinator too?

When the time came to be given away, Marian and Egan stood up and said 'Ummmm, hmmmm, I don't know...' and everyone was in fits of laughter, - apparently my expression was priceless!

James used Egan's hat as a ring cushion and soon we were making our way back down the aisle together. The girls and I practiced our entrance one more time - Michelle seemed much more satisified with this effort and I remember it was timed so beautifully that Trav took my hands in his on the final note of the verse. It was just lovely.

We made our way to Lure to meet Kylie, Wayne and Nick - and soon I saw a familiar face sitting waterside. I came up behind her with a big HELLO and Aunty Irene turned around in suprise - Aunty Yarg, Uncle George and Aunty Halina were also there. It was a great reunion!

Trav and I returned to our room before dinner to write our thank you cards, and soon Uncle Les dropped in to say hello. I gave him his special handkerchief and he almost cried right there. He agreed to join us for dinner and soon we met everyone else on the balcony of the Courthouse Hotel. It was very hard getting everyone to be seated at once and soon I noticed that Tamra and Kate had disappeared. I found them downstairs in the queue to order their meals. I tried asking them to come upstairs because if we all ordered at different times we'd get our meals at different times, they didn't seem to catch on too quickly. 'OK look, Trav and I would like to buy everyone's meals tonight so can you please come back upstairs so we can all order together??' Yep, they got it that time.

After our orders were taken, while everyone was still seated, I shakily stood up and said
'Travis and I have invited you to join us tonight so we can thank you for all your love and support so far. It really means a lot to us' (yeah that's about as far as I got before my voice cracked and a single tear welled up in my eye). One by one, I picked a gift our of the bag and asked Trav for the card, before presenting each and every person on that table with their special thank you.
Michelle said, 'It's not another postcard is it?' and made me laugh, giving me instant relief from my emotional state. Stacey was absolutley wrapt with her tinkerbell bracelet and put it on straight away, Deborah loved her card holder, pointing out to me her namesake, the bee on the front.
Kate and Michelle loved their pearl pendants but both were concerned with wearing them at the wedding, I'd seen the jewellery they'd both selected for their outfits already and assured them that they didn't have to - they might just like to wear it to the ceremony and then change for the reception. James was amazed that we'd known the exact specs for his camera and was looking forward to learning how to use the new lens. When I gave Anthony and Daniel their gifts I told them, 'Now one is to wear tomorrow, and one is for later - try to work out which is which'. Anthony soon came up to me presenting the pink string his gift was wrapped in and said, 'is this for tomorrow?' with his big grin.

Tamra and Louise were thrilled with their bags, I confessed that Mum had helped me a lot with making them and they were very excited to see their names on the inside.
Our parents received their cards and handkerchiefs, and we explained to both that we couldn't think up anything that would be enough to thank them, so we'd present them with an album each later on. Everyone's meals were delicious and we were a bit late heading downstairs to meet all the other guests. We took over 2 long tables on Wharf street and soon about 50 guests had joined us and we all chatted and laughed for a while. From across the other table Susan looked at me and said 'I know something you don't - there's a surprise at the ceremony tomorrow'. From this point a tiny thought grew at the back of my head, 'if he comes to the ceremony, would he really tell anyone? Would anyone really tease me with this? Would he really come?'. I never did find out what the ceremony surprise was.
By 9:30 I wanted to get out of there and try to get a long night's sleep. I walked home with mum after giving Trav a good-bye kiss. I hoped he wouldn't stay out too late and regret it tomorrow, but I didn't say a word.

I had to laugh when Kate told me that Michelle had been in a fluster before the rehearsal, worrying that she might be late. Well Mich - why don't you just take a look at that running sheet you didn't want to read!


The Groom's View:

After saying goodnight to Christie we stayed at the courthouse for a little longer and a couple more drinks. We then ended up at The Iron Bar. Before /i knew it I was receiving all different types of drinks from everyone. Shots and cocktails and beers and even a water. We stayed out a little later than i'd planned, but it was still a fun night. Anthony told me that he told all the staff to refuse me service and he was the only one allowed to get me drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment