Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Crisis averted (hopefully!)

Soon enough the working day ended and I met Kathryn and Louise on the steps of the GPO.
As we walked into Brides of Melbourne Allison greeted us immediately and showed me to a fitting room. She was cool, she was calm and no-fuss. (I bet she knows how to handle bridezillas!)

In the fitting room I stayed calm and said I just couldn't believe none of us had noticed this difference - Allison said it was a common occurrence - usually the top half of the dress gets all the fussing. She just made me feel comfortable immediately and even helped me into my shoes.

I stared into the mirror as Allison spread out the skirt, pinning and measuring. She wasn't phased with raising the hem - it would only be a problem if I wanted it lower! With Louise and Kathryn looking on we agreed on the length of the front left side and as Allison measured the length of the skirt from the left and right bodice seams, we noticed more than a couple of inches difference - the left side of the skirt was at least 8 inches longer! That's not a circle! Allison promised to measure the whole gown to ensure it was even and she is even removing the lace on the front and resewing it after the hem is raised - I seriously thought she'd just trim the bottom!
I mentioned that I hadn't spoken to Wendy yet and she said she'd give her a call.

Leaving my dress in the fitting room, I approached the counter where we locked in 10:30 am Friday for final fitting and pick up - and it will be freshly pressed too.

Phew! I walked out of there confident but relieved that I'd brought along reinforcements.

I quietly sipped my tea at Grossi while waiting to meet Trav at our last dance lesson.

The practice class was great - we worked on basic foxtrot and rumba steps, underarm turns (with proper arms) and my favourite - swivels!

We enjoyed pizza at Tono's and service was lightning fast this time, it was fitting that we'd started here 9 weeks ago and were ending here - with a much better experience!
Our private class had it's ups and downs, we concentrated hard on the ending and it's now looking lovely - we still had the odd slip up or two during the routine but as long as Trav doesn't get that 'I just stepped in dog-poo' look on his face no one will be any wiser.

We practiced again and again and worked on the timing at the start, our arms and smoothing the whole routine. We then performed it for Sim, Francesca, Andrew and a couple of the other students and it instantly felt different - my mouth was so dry! The feeling of people watching was so unnerving, Trav said the whole time he was thinking that Sim was disappointed, then he'd miss a step - tell himself off and miss another one - the poor thing really got worked up. We'll take it easy with the practice I think, we both know we know the steps and if we drill it over and over it will just look robotic. We'll be just fine!

Sim has worked so hard with us to make such a fantastic routine! I love the music just as much as when we started and the dance is just so much fun! It's sad to think we won't be spending Monday night 'date nights' with her from now on, but I hope we hold onto all that we've learned.

As we left the studio the same song was playing as the first time we'd walked in - 'I got rhythm' and we thought it would be a fitting song for our Parent's Dance...

No comments:

Post a Comment