Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 18th!

The Morning
I woke up at least 4 times last night. I was tossing and turning and had some nonsense dreams. At one point I made a concious effort to try to think of Rossi, and how he was snoring so peacefully on Saturday night. I tried to imagine patting him and finally fell asleep again. At about 5:30 am I heard the shower turn on above the sound of the ceiling fan in my room. 'Strange' I thought, it's a bit early. I lay there for another few minutes before getting up to find no one in the bathroom, it WAS rain! big old fat rain was hitting the leaves outside and it sounded so heavy! Instead of starting to stress about the day ahead and whether or not we'd have to move the dancefloor, I decided it was a great opportunity to drift off to sleep again, I just love falling to sleep when its raining at home on our tin roof and this would be just as good. It worked. I woke up before 8 and soon got up, knowing I wouldn't fall asleep again. Soon Kate joined me on the couch and Stacey wasn't far behind. We watched tv - all that was on was Miss Australia's Q&A blooper and the David Jones CEO in hot water. Over and over again. Kate offered to make me another delicious omelette for breakfast and although I didn't know if I could stomach it I found myself wolfing it down.
Soon they headed off and it was about 9.15 when Louise said she was on her way. I jumped in the shower and she was on the couch when I emerged from the bathroom in my beautiful silk robe and a cloud of Fracas. I was still feeling very uncomfortable during the morning. Louise gave me a beautiful crystal encrusted heart to carry with me down the aisle and a card filled with lovely words and the strains of 'So happy together... I can't see me loving nobody but you - for all my life....'

Tamra arrived soon after, sporting her very tame pale pink fingernails and then Mum and Deborah dropped in. Deborah was keen to know the name of my florist - I told her and asked if there were any problems? Nope, she shrugged and disappeared downstairs again. I finally pressed play on my carefully selected 'Christie's Wedding Morning' playlist and the first song was 'Baby got back!'

Kristy from Blush arrived before 10 and got started on Deborah, Michelle and Mum, soon her friend Stacey joined us and Louise and Tamra were getting prettified. There was a male voice at the door and when Shaun walked up the stairs with his camera I got the biggest shock 'What's the time?? I panicked... 'Relax it's only 10:30, I'm just checking out the place' he replied. Phew!
Shaun seemed quite impressed with our postcards - I'd brought a set as well as the journal I was keeping and a few other things to have photographed.
Next it was my turn in the hot seat and Kristy decided to forgo the extensions, confident that she could get my hair 'as big as I want it.' Deborah reappeared, this time with Chris, Lacey and a huge pink bouquet! Really, this thing was longer than my arm and was full of oriental lilies, easter lilies, pink gerberas, singapore orchids and some beautiful pink waxy torch like flowers that were locally grown - I have yet to find out what they're called!
Shaun saw this as a perfect photo moment and kept snapping away as Kristy worked on my makeup. Fake eyelashes and everything!
We went outside and checked the colouring in the sun next to the pool - I hadn't been outside until now and it was turning into the most beautiful blue sky day. Our flowers arrived shortly, Angie warned me that we hadn't gotten exactly what we wanted, there wasn't enough pale pink orchids to make our bouquets so we had a combination of pink and white and she discounted the flowers. I didn't mind a bit, everything looked beautiful and I couldn't want to see everyone wearing their bloom.

The girls dressed and we all headed over to Mum's villa for photos - it was a lot brighter on the mezzanine and my dress was hanging from the skylight. Remembering Trav's gift, I asked Louise and Tamra to take it over to him while Mum helped me into my gown, then we had pics of the girls buttoning me up, and then I put on my jewellery and was ready for my bridal closeups. The strange thing was that we could check out the photos as we went, Shaun would show me some in the viewfinder straight after taking them, it was quite surreal.
With the boys ordered to stay in their room with the curtains closed, we made our way across the road for some photos in a nearby garden. A few passersby gave me an approving look, and a little girl with her mother seemed quite in awe!

When we were sure the coast was clear, we ran back to Coral Sea Villas and I waited at the driveway with Aunty Lee frantically making arm gestures to everyone. Back in Mum's villa, I noticed a missed call on my phone - I read out the 07 number - 'it's Dad' Michelle said flatly. My eyes darted around the room, could I call him? Would I get upset? Louise offered 'call him later, call him later' giving me an encouraging nod. I put the phone down. I picked it up, Michelle said, 'you're better off calling him now'. Deep down I agreed, I knew this was the last chance I would speak to him before our wedding. I walked onto the balcony, took a deep breath, and called him back. 'Hi Dad' 'Hi Sweetie, how are you, where are you now' 'We're about to leave for the ceremony' I kept my voice even 'That's great, I just called to wish you all the best and I love you both very much' 'Thank you Dad, thank you' was all I could say, and all I had to say.
I walked back into the room, where everyone stood quietly, not sure whether to look or not. I gave Tamra a smile and she smiled back and held my hand.

Downstairs Bruno and Toni caught me before we jumped into Jason's car. They were both so excited and hoped to get down to the chapel to see some of the ceremony. Soon the flowers, parasols and us were bundled carefully into Jason's car and we drove down Macrossan street. Getting into the car was one of those heartbeat skipping moments, I'd realised then just how much I'd been relaxing as the day progressed, I think the distraction of hair, makeup, flowers and photos helped, it was a nice calm feeling though. Jason dropped us off outside the Central Hotel and with my veil and dress over my arm, and parasols in hand, we all wandered past the Iron Bar and Courthouse Hotel - I could see Shaun and Jen waiting on the other side of the road. I don't know if anyone called out to us or even whistled, I guess I was in the zone.
We crossed the road and made our way through the park towards the chapel. 'What if Trav sees you through the window?' I heard, 'Won't happen' I laughed as I saw James and Stacey blocking his view with their cameras. Jen said she'd heard I was notorious for being late so it was nice to see I was planning an on-time entrance.
At the front of the Chapel, Deborah and Shobha were waiting for us, Deborah's brother Chris appeared and started snapping away like a proper papparazo. There was a strange blonde woman with long hair sitting on the bench watching us, and she started taking pictures too, weird. 'You look beautiful' Shobha whispered. 'Feeling good?' Deborah asked, 'Yes' I managed, mouth dry but smiling. 'Apparently everyone's expecting me to be late?' 'Nah, Trav said it'd be alright because you're already dressed' Deborah quipped. 'Ready to go in?' 'Yes' 'Shall I start the music?' Shobha asked, 'Yes OK'.


The Ceremony
The music began, we all looked at each other, Louise took her cue and stepped up into the chapel, this was it! It felt like forever until the verse finished and Tamra finally followed. Standing halfway up the steps, I could see lots of familiar faces smiling at me from the back rows, lots of cameras started clicking. That also made me feel at ease, I think not seeing anyone until I saw them all at once would have been much more daunting!
With Michelle timing the music, we made our way up the steps and stood at the entrance, we began to walk down the aisle together slowly. I looked around at everyone, there were so many familiar faces smiling at me, at the end stood Louise, Tamra, Deborah, Anthony and Daniel. And Travis. Once I set my sights on him I didn't look anywhere else. He looked calm, assured and we smiled at each other all the way.

Michelle and I stepped up to the altar and she kissed Travis and I before sitting down. Travis took my hands in his, I remember they felt so strong and assured. The ceremony began, when Deborah asked our parents if they accepted us there was a resounding 'Yes, definitely' from Marian and Egan. Kate's reading was beautiful, so loud and clear, we were both watching her and she told us later that if she'd looked at us she was sure she would have burst into tears. Our mothers then came forward for the sand ceremony.

Trav said his vows first, voice unwavering and confident. I remember wondering why we'd picked such long ones. Then it was my turn, I'd always wanted to speak in a strong, clear voice, having been to weddings where I couldn't hear the vows at all. I began, my strong voice giving me more courage. At one line I almost cracked, I hesitated, took a deep breath and composed myself, blinking back the start of a tear and finished my vows.

James came forward with the rings and before I knew it, Deborah announced us husband and wife, and Travis took me in both his arms and kissed me! We then began the signing of the register. As Anthony was signing I noticed a big green ant crawling along the collar of his shirt. I looked at Trav, he was looking at it too, I didn't know whether to try to flick it away or not, Trav leaned past me and brushed it away. After Anthony and Louise had signed, Deborah invited us back to the front, I looked at her quizically, Daniel and Tamra hadn't signed our certificate yet. Deborah presented us as Mr and Mrs Travis and Christie McIntosh to all our guests and we got a huge round of applause as 'You're my best friend' began. Before she let us walk out of the chapel, Deborah hung two homemade silver bells over my arm (sequinned with our initials which I didn't notice until later). We stepped down and gave all our family hugs and kisses (Uncle Les with a tear in his eye) and Marian and Kate slipped their horseshoes over my arm.

Later on, Rebecca and Andrew said they could see the sheer relief on our faces as we turned to face our guests before walking down the aisle together. She's sure only a married couple can recognise this moment and she thinks a couple behind them had also noticed it.

As we walked out of the chapel as newlyweds Shaun and Jen were at the bottom of the steps. 'Celebrate!' he yelled - we were grinning from ear to ear as we stepped down into the park and soon were surrounded by friends and family, congratulating us and emptying their petal cones over our heads. Tracy and Megan had a different approach, grabbing Trav's shirt and tipping petals down his front!

Shaun gathered everyone for a group shot, making sure they all got a handful each of the leftover rose petals. Standing on his step ladder, he tried directing everyone when Peter yelled 'its like herding sheep!' 'Cats.' Shaun corrected, 'Like herding cats!' He then paused, blaming his second dizzy spell of the day (the first was when reaching for my dress hanging from the skylight earlier!). Jen helped him out by shaking the ladder.

We began our family shots, when we were standing with Trav's family Shaun said 'it's Michelle isn't it?' 'Michelle you're in my shot!' he called past us, 'Michelle you're still in my shot!'

When posing my family Uncle Les grumbled under his breath as he was directed this way and that, and Michelle would have scored zero points when she got Ryan in the photo as well!

The Photos
Trav and I then took a walk behind the chapel, with Shaun shooting from inside that huge window behind the altar. 'Just take a little stroll along the water - Christie lead him along a bit'. Then left us - we strolled slowly, then we strolled back - then Trav had an idea, turned around and got down on one knee - I knew I picked a good husband!

Soon we met our bridal party at Shaun's car and upon discovering that Trav had pushed the guys past the bottle shop so they wouldn't be late for the ceremony, (good husband!) we made a quick detour and filled the eski before heading out of town. I was riding shotgun and When the boys returned to the car, Trav said 'Shaun do you mind if we have a drink in the car?' 'Nah that's fine mate' - next thing I heard were Kshh-Kshh-Kshh as three bottles were opened in a row! Jen followed us out as Tamra cheered from the very back row 'Hey beautiful bride!'

First stop was Diggers Bridge, we made our way down a dirt road as Shaun asked me 'How do you feel about dust?' Hmmm. 'Not sure?'As we passed a pile of old tyres on the side of the road, he said 'I might get the guys to roll those tyres down the road later...'

We pulled up before the bridge, it was an overgrown area and as the sun was slowly sinking, everything was beginning to get a warm glow around it, it reminded me a lot of the tracks behind our old house in Macedon. With Shaun calling out instructions, we all walked up the hill toward the car, we all got to chat and giggle everytime we did this!

Soon Trav and I were standing on the 90 year old bridge. It was made of old wide sleepers that had major gaps between them and rumbled when a car went past. It was a bit tricky wandering around, trying not to fall through a hole and avoiding the odd cars. We did get lots of waves and 'congratulations!' - everybody loves a wedding! Shaun and Jen were perched on the river bank downstream. I remember thinking 'I hope we're making this look good!'.

When we returned to the car we found out Jen had hit her head when climbing back up the hill - it didn't stop her from sticking to Shaun through every intersection though!



As we drove back through the forest all the undergrowth was just covered with dust, Shaun said there was a quarry nearby and there was always this beautiful washed-out look on everything.
'That's the dust I'm talking about' as I looked back the car had left a cloud all over the road - something really special when the light is filtering through 'it is a lot of dust, I'm sure one of the boys would have revved it up for us'. 


We chatted about doing things backwards - house kids/dog then marriage. Soon we arrived at a cane field with a big tractor at the start. 'Up you get' Shaun said, looking at Trav. Trav laughed. 'Well...' Shaun said. Trav grinned awkwardly and went to put his beer down 'Just kidding!' HA HA HA!


We made our way through a narrow track and I couldn't help wondering how this would all look when it came together in the video and photos. On the way to our next location we found out what the saying was that the boys came up with that was guaranteed to always make them laugh all day. 'So is it true?' Shaun asked 'They're just jealous!' I responded. 'So it's true!!!'


Next stop was Four Mile Beach - shoes were off and out came those parasols and I was finally game enough to open a piccolo - my first drink of the day! This is where we made our thank you cards, Shaun's idea took our original inspiration a step further and I can't wait to see how they turn out!


We made our way back to Port Douglas town and parked at the Sugar Wharf. As we got out of the car, Shaun said, 'let's see how many...' tourists?' I volunteered 'weddings' he replied. Uh oh. It's a pretty popular spot. We rounded the corner to find.... just a few kids and fishermen! Shaun seemed amazed once again. Where were all the other weddings today?? So many passersby called out and wished us congratulations, even from the boats!

I grabbed Louise and Tamra for some fun shots and went to kick a piece of trash out of the way. It flipped over and it was a Mrs Mac's pie wrapper! yeah I don't usually get so excited about trash!


Soon it was my turn for some bridal portraits - I got many looks of approval from the nearby fishermen - and even a 'You look stunning'!


The sun was disappearing as we drove into the carpark of Marina Mirage. Time for a quick freshen up (I had it easy in the toilets compared to Tamra & Louise!) and one last dance practice...


The Reception

This was it! James came out and collected our extra bags and the eski - Shaun was already at Lure and we were about to arrive. We crossed through the mall to the boardwalk, and soon we could see everyone from a distance, it was dark outside now, but the boardwalk was all lit up with pink and red lights on the palms, and torches and our path of candles. Our guests packed the boardwalk and though I could hear a few familiar voices above the rest, I couldn't make out anyone from here. 


There was a country singer at another restaurant who made it hard to hear Nick's announcement - but soon Tamra and Anthony made their way to the dancefloor, arm in arm to lots of applause. Louise and Daniel soon followed, the applause grew - then we were announced to a din of cheering, whistles and clapping!


We got ready to begin our dance - and the music had started before we even knew it! We missed our first dip and made a couple of little mistakes, but we did finish on time! It was an amazing feeling - I wasn't nervous at all and it felt like we really were swooping and twinkling across the dancefloor, just like I'd wanted to. I hope we made Kate proud!

Our bridal party joined us to dance to Jack Johnson next, and then Trav's folks and Mum and Michelle. And then EVERYONE was up dancing! I know the first 2 songs were You make me feel like dancing and Some kind of wonderful by Joss Stone (because they were my requests!) but after that it was just party song after party song. Marian danced with Matt (Kat said their eyes met from across the floor) and David - removing his glasses which he wasn't too pleased about (I returned them to him!).

We soon made our way to the tables and as we were seated first, I got to sit and observe everybody in this room we'd created - full of our friends and family who were all having such a great time in Port Douglas with us! Except two. I really missed Louise and Daniel a lot that night. Kylie greeted us and filled our beautiful crystal champagne flutes and she said she woke up to the rain too this morning - worrying about me!

Nick read out the telegrams we'd received - from Liz, Maureen, Mum, Marian & Egan, Deborah, Angela and a few others. They got a laugh!

Dinner was soon served - and we handed each platter around for everyone to try. All the food was cooked to absolute perfection. The Fillet of Beef stuffed with semi-dried tomato, pine nuts,oregano & Persian Fetta was superb - so tender and moist! The Chicken Breast Supreme
served on a sushi rice cake with steamed bok choy & massaman curry sauce was so succulent and the Barramundi on a crab mousseline crêpe with orange beurre blanc was a real treat!

I sat back and observed again. Tamra and Anthony were both tucking into their meals happily, across the room I could hear so many familiar voices chatting and laughing in between mouthfuls. Not long after the meal Egan was at our table, raving about the food and how well the ligher styled Shiraz Viognier complimented the beef (I knew I was on a winner there!). In fact - so many guests just loved the food and the way it was served!

Soon it was time for speeches, my 'military operation' as Nick referred to it, was running right on schedule. Mum's speech was touching, and I loved that she led the Polish guests with 'Sto Lat'. Egan's words were lovely too and he got lots of laughs! I didn't know what Trav had in store but his speech was so simple and thoughtful, he mentioned everyone who played an important part of our day and thanked them. And that's exactly what I would have done too. Our appreciation of every single person there was amplified by the distance they had all travelled. When I think that all these people had invested their time, money and annual leave just to be with us today I am overwhelmed by how much we mean to them. We certainly have a solid circle of friends and family around us. Daniel and Anthony took it pretty easy - it was all about Trav thank goodness!

As we got up to cut our cake, Susan was coaching us 'Christie put your hand on his - we want to see both rings in the photo!'. After we'd cut the cake Jen asked if we'd like to cut a slice and feed each other a piece. We looked at each other 'Nahhhhh' we said in unison.

Soon we were back on the dancefloor for our 'Parents' dance. Uncle Les and I, Marian and Trav and Mum and Egan danced to As the Days go By (well OK the 2 of us shuffled) and then the Anniversary Dance began, I had to help Nick explain the dance but when he got the hang of it it was really lovely. I spotted Daniel at the table - just as Louise disappeared and urged him to go get her and join this dance. Nothing happened. It was a pretty crowded dancefloor and we hung in there for our 11 years. At the end only Joan & Wayne and Susan and Gary were left, and Susan was trying to count how many years they'd been together. Finally she and Gary admitted defeat and then Joan and Wayne followed - I raced over to Joan to congratulate her and present her with my bouquet.


The dancefloor opened up again and I soon spotted one of the waitresses showing Anthony how to do the Macarena. There were so many people up that we spread out onto the boardwalk! Throughout the night I remember hearing a few requests and trying to remember who's they were - I grabbed Louise and Hilda for Dancing Queen, Nick made his own request and summoned us up for Dirty Dancing's the Time of My Life - Jason held Kate above his shoulders! Then he had to do it again for the cameras! Anthony wouldn't be beaten by his younger brother so he picked Tamra up and whirled her around a few times. Then there was the unexpected request. I couldn't believe it when I heard the first few bars of 'Pony'. I protested at first, but eventually sucked it up and Trav and I slid around the dancefloor with our best pony interpretation! 


We nutbushed. We bus-stopped. We conga'd. And we nutbushed again! There were lots of bare feet on the dancefloor (oooh I'm getting goosebumps remembering it all again!) I'd heard a lot of 'beautifuls' and 'stunnings' throughout the day but I received my one and only 'ethereal' from Andrea. That girl has a way with words!


I ducked around the tables quickly - though there weren't many people left seated and I noticed that there was already a queue forming for the chocolate fountain. Dean was just finishing off a mighty fine moon walk when I wandered up to the smokers' end for a chat. Lucky I got dessert next - there wasn't much left! The best idea was the ice cream balls! Our cake was also absolutely delicious and the ice cream balls were such a fantastic idea to accompany the chocolate fountain. I sat down next to Allison and noticed a dinner plate filled with chocolate in front of David!


As I headed back towards the dancefloor I noticed James near the frame photo spot. I raced over and jumped in some pictures with Kate and Michelle. James said 'Hey Christie -are you busy right now?' Nope. He headed over to the DJ and next thing I heard was 'Whoever would like a picture with the bride please head over to the boardwalk...'. I had a queue! Allison & Ben, Lara & Tennille, Mum and all my Aunties, Marian & Egan, Stacey, Maree, Anthony, Louise and Lucas all came over. Oh and Trav too.


We then took the frame over to the other side and Trav and I got some shots with Tamra and Anthony - they are such a beautiful reminder of how much fun we were having! I can even remember us all standing behind the frame (goosebumps again).


Soon, with Kate in charge, no one was safe! The frame went from table to table, catching all our friends and family and it even had time for a boogie on the dancefloor. I love the shots where you can see Kate concentrating and holding it as far as she can - while the people in the shot are doing something random. It's an interesting contrast. Kate really framed these shots beautifully! It wasn't long before I recognised another request - and I think we all know who ordered AC/DC's You Shook me All Night Long! Yep Mich was up there wiggling her tush all over the place. I tried dancing with her but it was hopeless. Dean even jumped back up to dance with me - he knew the words to this one! Then Trav and I were back together as my sister shimmied up and down our legs - and then sauntered over to Egan with her rock lock in the air. (I am crying with laughter as I'm writing this)


I am so glad for all the observing I did throughout the night, it neither felt too long or too short - and I think that's because I was paying such close attention to everyone and actually living in the moment. So although I was sad when a farewell circle was formed on the dancefloor, I didn't wish it to go longer, and I knew that I'd made the most of every single moment. One by one we said goodbye to everyone - but it wasn't too sad - I was saying 'see you tomorrow at breakfast!!' I was sad when Royce and Kylie told me they were leaving first thing in the morning - I hadn't spent any proper time getting to know them all night and if I'd known then I would have made more time with them. But still no regrets. 
Trav and I met exactly halfway through - he'd been keeping an eye on me so we both finished together. At the very end of the circle, Louise and Daniel stood. We hugged and I gave them an encouraging smile. What more could I do? I said my last goodbye to Lara Thomas and tracked mum down for the key to our room. As Trav and I gave a final wave and wandered away from our party the funniest thing happened. A human arch grew in front of us - led by Kate and Tracy and we ducked down and squeezed through with me squealing in delight. When we were just about out of the arch, more people would appear and so it continued all the way down the boardwalk.

Egan appeared at the end of our arch and before I could speak he held his hand up and his words still stay in my mind 'You two made tonight, you really did.'

No comments:

Post a Comment