Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sunday

We knew the weather would be turning a bit today but hoped it wouldn't completely ruin our day on the reef. Bruno thought it would be 'the best of a bad bunch'. I had to catch a lift with Jason again this morning - as polite little me ensured everyone else (even my HUSBAND) was on the shuttle before me. So I missed out! No matter - I rode in comfort and as I stepped out at Marina Mirage I said to Jason 'well Jason I know i can count on you for last minute lifts!' 'Christie, you can count on me for anything' and with that our adventure at sea began. We sat on the top deck heading out, and soon the waves were crashing over each side of the boat. Michelle came out 'because the lady said I was looking a bit green' and I spent the rest of the hour huddling her to try to stop her shivers and make her more comfortable. It wasn't too great on the reef - the grey skies meant everything underneath the surface of the water was muted - not the beautiful strong colours in all the photos. The current was so strong that after paddling away from the boat - you zoomed right back in just a few seconds. My snorkel would fill with water as I was bobbing around but the water was warm. When you got out you could warm yourself up by sticking a hot water hose down your wetsuit - that was the best bit of the whole trip! Although it wasn't the perfect day - there were lots more stories to tell than if it had been - Dean trying to walk forwards in his flippers was a good one (all that moon-walking forgotten so quickly!).

As we lined up to step out of the boat the crew were pairing our shoes up outside. 'Watch them try to find mine' said Ryan - it was hilarious - they'd check the bins, check the deck, check again - look at each other in worry, until Ryan came out with his crutches and a big grin on his face!

On the way home we picked up the last of the stubby holders and things and were lucky enough to be spotted by Anthony on the shuttle so we caught a ride home.

We had dinner at Mum's place as Michelle and Ryan were leaving early the next morning, it was great spending time with Aunty Irene and Aunty Yarg and we enjoyed a mountain of delicious fresh prawns. After catching up with friends at Rattle 'n' Hum I snuck out and put a goodbye note on Michelle's car as a suprise in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment