Wednesday, March 24, 2010

One big lovely mess

I took a step back this morning. Operation Wedding has really kicked up a gear in the last 2 weeks and shows no signs of slowing. There’s stuff everywhere – decorations, favours, gifts, magazines and tear sheets, folders, and the paperwork Oh the paperwork! We originally started with one box of stuff, which quickly grew to 2, then three – plus everything else.
It’s hard to keep things organized as we don’t have a place for any of it – what a dilemma. I feel so fortunate to be loved by someone enough that he want to spend the rest of his life with me. He wants to celebrate this with our friends and family in our favourite holiday spot and he’s right there with me every step of the way – creating our special day together just as I’d hoped. This is the messy bit of wedding planning, we’re in the middle of an incredible adventure and we wouldn’t have all these interesting things laying around the house if we weren’t planning such a big event!
My mind would be calm and settled, not spinning and racing – if we didn’t have an exciting adventure to look forward to. Well the adventure has well and truly began – so easily we can forget about all the little changes and details that shape our lives and experiences – these things happen every single day – and this is how our wedding is also unfolding, in fact our adventure began a long time ago.

Rather than counting down days and fretting over who’s doing what and whether I’ve forgotten something, this is the time to sit back and soak it up, I’ll never get this period of time back and don’t want to fall into the trap of letting life pass by while I’m busy making other plans. All the decisions, comparisons, endless lists and schedules are part of the process, and some say that getting there is half the fun.

We can plot and plan and tick off our lists, imagining it all coming together on our perfect day, but that day is just 24 hours long, and on that day we’ll have been engaged for 2 years - 730 days (17,520 hours – yes I knew you’d ask). How fast does a normal day go? It’s important to appreciate each of these days for what they are, because come July the creative process for that one special day will have ended. The house will return to being a normal house – from its previous state as a hive of wedding activity and ideas, and we’ll sigh with contentment, thinking about all that excitement and anticipation but not quite reliving it.

Here’s one of the main reasons I’m writing this blog – it’s a diary for myself, I want to enjoy and remember every single moment as clearly as it was yesterday... all my thoughts and ideas hidden in the one place along this curious journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment