Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sand Ceremony

Being the sentimental type, early in our engagement I put the call out for sand to be collected from our hometowns - Geraldton WA for me and Christies Beach SA (yeah I know - meant to be right!?) for Trav.

The sand has since found its way to our place and we'll be using it for the sand ceremony. Then began the search for an appropriate vessel to pour the sand into. There are 'kits' available online none of which we liked the looks of and I started considering using an antique cut crystal decanter or bottle like we have for holiday mementos in the past. 
I usually like something to have an element of usefulness as well as beauty so am trying to avoid another 'dust collector'.

I knew there must be alternatives so I threw a few key words into Google and here's what I found:

Hourglass - fill it with your own then seal the lid! Absolutely stunning idea but a bit pricey for us
 
Shadowbox - Yes! This is it! It's useful and beautiful! The one in this picture was handmade by a very crafty bride but I think we'll still get a great effect if we use one of these not-too-pricey Umbra Ether frames I found on Amazon - we'll stand it vertically and the sliding end will become the lid at the top.

 

Perfect! Now it's just a matter of colour ... Nickel or Espresso?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment