Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thoughts on marriage

I never wanted to be the fussy bride. Didn’t want to obsess over shades of red or match chair sashes to bridesmaid dresses. I didn’t want to drive myself mad with different envelope textures or take any of it too seriously.
But why should I avoid all this? This is what it’s all about and it’s so much more fun to embrace it – this is my chance to design and create a whole day exactly how I’d like! As the date gets closer I’ve noticed that although I’ve changed my mind a few times along the way, I’ve always come back to the same key elements, simple, stylish, unfussy and elegant. It’s going to be a big holiday for all our guests and we’re going to keep it stylish but casual. And it’s a brides’ prerogative to change her mind isn’t it – it’s all part of the process and this is why I’d like to record as much of the journey as possible.

I’m also looking forward to changing my surname, it didn’t feel right when I began pondering this common question, but I believe this part of marriage is right for me. Other brides will keep their maiden name or hyphenate both names, but to save our kids having to deal with a very long surname, I’m keeping it simple. Someone once even decided to keep their maiden name, then any boys born will take the father’s name, and any girls will take the mothers? These 2 kids went to school as brother and sister with 2 different surnames!

There are always those who will tell you that if you’ve already been a couple for a long time, marriage is nothing more than a piece of paper and a big party, but although I have no authority on the subject (yet) I believe that a marriage is what you make it, and ours will be much more than a piece of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment